Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lesson3:Blog as e-Portfolio

Think
Before you began this course, what arrangements did you make (or still do) to be able to show to others (and to yourself), what you know and what you can do?
I just have an offline portfolio, which is only for Freshman ELP. Almost all of my works(done during my Freshman days) are in it. In terms of online portfolio, though I have an account of Windows Live and my space on that server, I rarely use it as a tool to show what I know. I just uploaded a part of my profile.

Explore
1. Do you need an e-portfolio? Please watch this presentation. (This presentation describes the use of a wiki, while you will use a blog for this e-portfolio)
For now, I don't need it. Through the presentation, I got how it is important for some people. For others, it is a tool to know what I know, what I can do or even who I am. For me, it's a tool to review and to reassemble. But I think I don't need to show others what I know. When an e-portfolio becomes just a tool to reassemble, it doesn't have to be an e-portfolio.

2. What are the main advantages and disadvantages you see in having an e-portfolio in addition to (or in place of) a traditional resume? Please see some of the examples below.
Clearly one of the advantages is that it's easy to share & change. Papers does not bother me any more when I use an e-portfolio as a resume. On the other hand, it requires a particular environment in which I can use the Internet freely. It can be troubleful for people without this environment. Also what I mind most is the matter of privacy. As long as I interact with others online, the matter won't be completly solved.

Explain
1. What are the main skills needed to use your e-Portfolio?
I just have to follow the guideline to edit my e-portfolio, so I may say I don't need any special skills. If I want to develop my portfolio much more, I can use knowledge of html.

2. What are the affordances of your e-Portfolio (what does it make possible, what does it impede)?
This portfolio enables me to review easily what I learned or what I thought. Also everyone can see what I wrote, and make comments on my opinion(as long as the person has an account of blogger). I know it's good for learning, but I still have difficulty mentally to show up my frofile online.

3. How can your e-Portfolio be used to network professionally and connect you (& other students) to learning resources?
I can paste links to many useful homepages, which I know, and they must help others with their learning. Or I can even upload videos and images. If I have sometnihg interesting or useful, it will attract others. If someone give me any comments, it means I could interact thruogh the Internet.

4. What skills and understandings have you learned from creating your e-Portfolio that may promote your development as an effective learner in the digital age?
I got to know the possibility with the e-portfolio. It enables everyone to show who he/she is and what he/she can. This let people to make opportunity to make an appeal of themselves to others, even to companies. To send out myself can make new way to live. It is the possibility of e-portfolio.

1 comment:

Owen James said...

Yukari, this is an important piece of work. You have taken time to think and then explain your ideas carefully. You seem to have mixed feelings on the usefulness to you of an e-portfolio. Please let me say this one thing: In a connected world when you share, people are more willing to share with you. This increases your capacity. And your marketability. You also say, "what I mind most is the matter of privacy." On this point, please remember it is always your decision to share or not to share. No one can make you, your autonomy is safe. Excellent work. Grade A.